Smooth skin, shiny hair, sexy body, pretty face – these are all things that boost our confidence and make us feel confident and gorgeous! However, what about our teeth? Are they white, clean, and aligned? It’s always going to be embarrassing if we have ugly teeth when we smile; and no matter how perfect everything else is, it can influence our appearance and even self esteem. This is why we should include our teeth and mouth as part of our consideration when ensuring we look after ourselves. Not only can it affect our mouths and jaws aesthetically, but bad teeth can affect our health. Cosmetic Dentistry includes a wide range of procedures that can improve the appearance, function and health of our teeth, mouth, lips and jaw line.
So how do we define Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic Dentistry is a dental procedure that focuses on the aesthetic value of the teeth. Hence, it improves the overall appearance, function and health of one’s mouth, teeth and smile.
People suffer from different teeth issues that affect the appearance of their smile:
- Stained teeth or teeth discolouration
- Cavities/ tooth decay/tartar on teeth, plaque on teeth
- Chipped/cracked tooth
- Crooked teeth
- Hyperdontia, or having too many teeth
- Gap/s between teeth
- Misaligned teeth
These aesthetic and functional tooth problems have a number of solutions nowadays due to the technological advancement in dental works – and that’s what Cosmetic Dentistry procedures offer us.
Here are some of the different Cosmetic Dental Treatments to improve the appearance of our smile:
- Dental Implants – Replacement teeth that look and function like our natural teeth.
- Dental Crowns – Dental restorations that surround the prepared tooth structure to help strengthen weakened teeth that have been cracked, broken or decayed.
- Bonding (Composite Resin Rebonding) – Used to restore chipped or broken teeth, fill in gaps, fix cavities and reshapes or re-colour the teeth by placing fillings in the affected teeth.
- Invisalign – Invisible braces which help in aligning the teeth.
- Snap On Smile – Gives the ability to change the shape, colour and size of your teeth without the need for bleaching or having to spend money on expensive crowns and veneers.
- Cosmetic Veneers (Porcelain and Composite) – Consist of thin tooth coloured layers of specifically shaped porcelain or composite resin that are bonded to the facial surfaces of your teeth to cosmetically enhance your smile while still maintaining healthy tooth structure.
- Contouring and Reshaping – Aligns the teeth, reduces the obvious disparities and helps create uniformity and aesthetic balance and proportions when observed against neighbouring teeth.
- Teeth Whitening / Bleaching – Uses 6% hydrogen peroxide gel that penetrates the outer enamel layer to whiten the darker dentil layer.
We have heard some awesome stories about how fixing your teeth can really make a difference to your overall appearance and confidence. Check out Krystal and her hubby’s story.
We have done all the hard work and researched a number of dentists who offer cosmetic dentistry services. We have included them in our directory.