I need a boob job, can Medicare Help? If you are considering a breast augmentation this is something you may be interested to know; many cosmetic procedures (in which some breast procedures are included) have a Medicare rebate when performed by a specialist Plastic surgeon. Even if you don’t have private health insurance the Medicare rebate is available to you when the breast procedure is performed by a Specialist Plastic Surgeon.
And here’s one loophole; If you have private health insurance and are after a little mummy makeover plus you have a child under the age of 7, Medicare will provide you with a rebate.
But not all procedures are covered by a Medicare rebate for example if you are looking for a breast augmentation for aesthetic reasons you will probably find that no insurance company will cover any of the cost. However if you need breast reconstruction procedures for any of the following make sure you check the Medicare rebates listed below, as Medicare may cover 75% (which is usually the hospital stay).
- Bilateral Breast Reduction (Item no. 45520) – Medicare Rebate is $675.35 (1 side)
- Tubular Breast Reconstruction (Item no. 45559) – Medicare Rebate is $852.60 (1 side)
- Abdominoplasty (Item no. 30177) – Medicare Rebate is $739
- Breast Augmentation for asymmetry (Item no. 45524) – Medicare Rebate $556.25 (1 side)
- Breast Implants for breast deformity (Item no. 45528) – Medicare Rebate $834.30 (1 side)
- Breast Lift for Asymmetry (Item no. 45556) – Medicare Rebate $574.55 (1 side)
- Breast Lift after pregnancy – Youngest child must be between 1-7 years old (Item no. 45558) – Medicare Rebate $861.75 (both sides)
- Breast Augmentaion (No Item no.) – Medicare Rebate NIL
Of course you must talk about these rebates and the details with your Plastic Surgeon before you make your final decision on your surgery. The rebate and the quality of the procedure is just another reason why you should use qualified Plastic Surgeons for any of your major plastic surgery procedures. For more information on how to know what qualifications a specialist Plastic Surgeon should have take a look here.
To check any Medicare item the rebate for it and any further details head to www.health.gov.au
Also if you have any further questions don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com