Meet Sydney Plastic Surgeon Dr Kernohan….
“To provide individualised care to meet your needs and expectations. To provide optimal results using the safest and most up-to-date techniques. To apply the highest standards of surgery by offering choice, experience and compassion.”
About Dr Michael Kernohan MBBS, MSc, BDS, MRCS, FDSRCS, FRCS(Plast), FRACS (Plast) Sydney Plastic Surgeon
Dr Michael Kernohan is a highly experienced Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon, fully qualified in both Australia and the UK. He has had extensive training, holding qualifications in both dentistry and medicine. His training path has taken him around the world acquiring skills from some of the world’s best surgeons. He started his consultant career at the Royal Victoria Infirmary and Freeman Hospitals in England where the Plastic Surgery department has a high workload of head and neck/facial reconstruction and is one of the UK’s largest facial palsy services.
He spent a year in a subspecialty fellowship in Head and Neck Oncology in Sydney then a further advanced fellowship in microsurgical reconstruction. He then moved to London to work intensively with one of the most eminent and published facelift surgeons. After nearly four years he moved back to Sydney where he now lives permanently with his family.
Sydney Plastic Surgeon Services Offered
Dr Michael Kernohan is a Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon who provides a broad range of services from skin cancer to cosmetic surgery and offers complex reconstructive procedures following trauma and cancer treatments utilising the most innovative and up-to-date treatment options.
He is actively engaged in multidisciplinary care in areas of head and neck cancer, skin cancer and breast surgery. His cosmetic practice follows the highest standard of ethics and safety, with a strong focus on counselling patients regarding long-term benefits and risks of surgery.
Dr Kernohan is able to care for public and private patients and currently has appointments in both St Vincent’s and Liverpool hospitals and has an additional leadership role as Director of Surgical Specialities in the South Western area.
Dr Kernohan has led the development of a melanoma service for the Southwest LHD improving access for surgery treatment and trial to public and private patients. He is an active member of the Head & Neck Surgery multidisciplinary teams in St Vincent’s and the Southwest.
Cosmetic, Reconstructive & Plastic Surgery by Dr Kernohan Sydney Plastic Surgeon
- Breast Reduction Surgery for heavy or overly large breasts
- Breast Augmentation Surgery – Breast Implants
- Breast Lift Surgery for sagging or drooping breasts
- Breast Implant Surgery – Implant revision, removal or replacement
- Breast Reconstruction Surgery
- Tummy Tuck – Abdominoplasty surgery
- Body contouring surgery and excess skin reduction after weight loss – Stomach, Arms, Thighs
- Post Pregnancy Surgery – Breast & tummy surgery – Mummy Makeover Surgery
- Male Breast Reduction – Gynecomastia or Gyno surgery
- Skin cancer and Melanoma Surgery
- Gender Surgery – Top Surgery
- Hand Surgery & Wrist Surgery
- Skin Lesions, Skin Cancer and Melanoma Surgery
- Minor Skin Surgery such as Moles, Cysts & Lipomas
Special interests & Research
Sub Speciality Fellowship Experience
- Head and Neck oncology and reconstruction – Royal Prince Alfred
- Reconstructive microsurgery – St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney
- Cosmetic Surgery – King Edward VII Hospital & Harley Street, London
- International Consultant Plastic Surgeon specialising in Head & Neck and Microsurgical Reconstruction, NHS UK
- BDS Glasgow University, 1994
- FDSRCS Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 1997
- MBBS University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne 2000
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2003
- MSc (Speech and Swallowing research) University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne 2007
- FRCS (Plast) Royal College of Surgeons – Intercollegiate UK 2008
- FRACS (Plast) Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Australia 2016