Breast implants?

Q & A’sBreast implants?
AvatarAnonymous asked 6 years ago

Since having two children (my youngest 15 months) my breasts are basically saggy skin. I can’t fit normal bras, as due to the amount of skin I need a d cup but I only fill the bottom half so they gape, I can’t wear padded bras to push them up as they just look all wrinkly and when I wear a sports bra they basically fold in half due to the skin. I’m worried that my doctor will just laugh at me if I go and ask for a referral? I don’t think I need a lift, just an implant to fill out the skin. Is there any chance Medicare would cover any of this? I’m not with a health fund

4 Answers
Dr Damian MarucciDr Damian Marucci Contributor answered 6 years ago

Hi. I am sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having. It may be that you just need a breast lift (mastopexy) without an implant (if your breast volume is okay but you’re unhappy with the breast shape). If the breast shape isn’t bad, then you may just need breast augmentation with implants (but this doesn’t sound like you!) If you are unhappy with the volume of your breasts AND the shape, then you may need a breast lift with implants (augmentation mastopexy).

Unfortunately, these types of surgery tend not to be covered by medicare – although there is a partial medicare rebate for breast lifts performed between 1 and 7 years after your last pregnancy.

I’m sure your doctor would be more than happy to refer you to a specialist for an opinion.

Dr Damian Marucci

Dr Damian Marucci is a highly trained plastic surgeon. He specialises in major reconstructive surgery after breast cancer, skin cancer, and head and neck cancer, as well as facial and lower limb reconstruction after trauma. Additionally, he performs a number of cosmetic surgeries to enhance people’s appearance. Dr Marucci is known for his patient care and attention to detail, and is well-respected for his life-changing work with the charity Interplast.

Dr Patrick BriggsDr Patrick Briggs Contributor answered 6 years ago

A registered plastic and cosmetic surgeon, need to assess your situation as each patients circumstances is different. Recommendations can be made by your surgeon.

Dr Patrick Briggs

Dr Patrick Briggs is an internationally trained Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon based in Perth, Western Australia.

Dr Naveen SomiaDr Naveen Somia Contributor answered 6 years ago

Breast enlargement is not covered by Medicare.

Dr Gavin SandercoeDr Gavin Sandercoe Contributor answered 6 years ago

You should see your GP and ask for a referral. They don’t necessarily need to examine you for this. I would suggest that you look at the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons website and look for a local Plastic Surgeon that has website that resounds with you or has got great reviews. Without a photo, it’s quite hard to assess and provide sensible advice. However from what you have written, it sounds like you probably do need a lift, plus or minus the implants. Medicare may cover some of the cost of a lift, however will not cover any implant cost. If you are not with a health fund, there is almost no possibility of having this performed in the public sector and you will need to have this done in a Private Hospital setting. I would strongly suggest that you do get Private Health Insurance that covers you for the item number (45558) for a breast or nipple lift, if your Specialist Plastic Surgeon believes that you will qualify for that item number under Medicare.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This