Scarring is an inevitable part of having surgery, and is often the one thing that people who decide to have surgery often worry about. Apart from ensuring that you get a highly-qualified Surgeon who focuses on precision incision techniques and proper scar management, there are other technologies that can help minimise scars. Fraxel Laser is one of many technologies for scar reduction for some patients, and Coco Ruby Skin Clinic in Hawthorn and Berwick (VIC) offers this state-of-the-art scar-removal treatment.
How FRAXEL laser treatments can help reduce scars after surgery
Fraxel laser works by targeting the skin areas that were penetrated by surgical incisions or otherwise underwent dermal changes that resulted in the formation of a scar.
Using a patented fractional laser technology, only a small area of the skin tissues are treated at a time. The surrounding skin remains unaffected and intact. The deep penetration of this laser treatment promotes rapid healing, which occurs faster than if the entire skin is treated at once. Collagen production is triggered to encourage the growth of new and healthy skin. Repeated treatments will lead to healthier and renewed skin.
- Removes pigmentation and brown spots
- Enhances skin texture and tone
- Reduces pore size
- Minimises appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Rejuvenates neck, face, hands, and chest
- Reduces surgical scars
- Reduces acne
- Improves skin colour (dyschromia)
What to Expect during a Fraxel Treatment
A topical anaesthetic cream is spread over the area to be treated. Topical creams take some time to work,so are often applied around 45 minutes to an hour before the treatment. This will ensure more patient comfort throughout the procedure. Each session will usually take under one to two hours , including include the time needed to let the topical anaesthetic to take effect. The actual Fraxel treatment on the skin usually lasts for only 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the area(s) being treated.
What you might feel as you get FRAXEL laser treatment on your scars
You may feel a prickling sensation when the laser goes over your skin. The feeling is comparable to feeling as though your skin has been sunburnt. This sensation, as well as a slight itching, will usually disappear in two to three hours.
Fraxel Recovery Tips:
- It is recommended that you apply a cold compress on the treated area to help you feel comfortable and to minimise swelling.
- You may also see some swelling and redness for a few hours after the procedure.
- For some patients, swelling may last for a few days.
- You can safely drive home after the Fraxel Laser procedure as there is minimal downtime.
- Be sure to follow the specific post-treatment instructions your Surgeon or Fraxel Clinician gives you, and be sure to let your Surgeon or Nurse know immediately if you have any concerns.
The number of sessions will depend on the gravity of the skin damage. Typically, the Coco Ruby Skin Clinic will recommend ONE to FIVE sessions of Fraxel (average of 3 sessions), spread about four to six weeks apart. Most patients see improvement after only one session. Maintenance treatments may be recommended when deemed necessary. And not all patients will require Fraxel; other scar reduction treatments may be used instead.
Fraxel is only one option to manage scars and not every patient is a candidate for Fraxel. Silicone sheets, collagen induction treatments (DermaPen), special scar healing creams and light based treatments that may also be used to minimise scars after plastic surgery.
Tara Stapleton and her team of Coco Ruby Dermal Clinicians work closely with the Specialist Plastic Surgeons at Cosmetic Surgery for Women to help their plastic surgery patients have minimal scarring.
Her team focuses on customised, evidence-based scar management techniques which may include pre-surgery skin preparation treatments for some patients as well as post-surgery scar treatment. In addition to Fraxel, Coco Ruby uses DermaPen, silicone sheets or other strategies.
Post Fraxel Treatment
- Most patients will start to see improvements within a few days post-treatment.
- Because Fraxel helps triggers collagen production, improvements in the skin’s appearance will often continue for several months after the treatment as Fraxel helps promote skin rejuvenation.
- Gradual improvement may be seen for up to a year after a series of sessions.
The Fraxel Laser treatment is a unique procedure designed to treat scarring, including after cosmetic plastic surgery. It was developed to help the body produce new and healthy skin, as well as reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. For some patients and certain skin types, there may be other methods of scar minimisation and skin rejuvenation that may be more beneficial; but Fraxel remains a popular treatment for skin revitalisation of the face, body and hands. If you would like more information about Fraxel Laser contact Coco Ruby Skin Clinic at one of their clinics in Melbourne, either in Hawthorn on (03) 8849 1400 or in Berwick on (03) 8849 1450.