Off I went to Brisbane for my CoolSculpting treatment with only the knowledge of some brief discussions with the clinic and a colleague, some reading on the internet and even some views of the procedure on YouTube (as you do)!  But knowing that everyone has their own experience I couldn’t compare the experience of another to what mine was going to be.

I’m not an overweight person, nor have I ever been, however, I have had 2 kids (now 4 & 6 yrs old) and a pot belly (not to mention love handles to match) ever since and I’ve had trouble slimming it down due to injuries.  When I heard about the CoolSculpting treatment it was, in my mind, going to be the perfect solution.  So I was just excited to get there and find out how this non-invasive treatment was going to be a solution to my unwanted bulges!

We arrived at the BEAUTIFUL Clinic Aesthetic in Brisbane (headed up by Scott Ingram) where we met Lauren (the Practice Manager) and my therapist Fiona, who were both so lovely!

The first part of my appointment was a consultation with Fiona to ensure that I was a suitable candidate for the treatment. I had sent them photos of myself but it’s never conclusive until they see you in the flesh.  I was a good candidate, as I had bulges – LOL!  I was ready to get on with it – freeze away!

Fiona took a series of photos of me – these will be my “before” pics which will be good to look at in a a few months to see the difference.  She then used a template to determine the exact areas that were going to be treated and then we got straight into it.  Everything was explained so well, very informative during each step of the application and I was made to feel VERY comfortable – all the while being filmed by my gorgeous buddy for the day, our very own Nina Hill, I got the giggles about it. (Watch this space for a short video we are producing of my treatment.)

So the first thing was a freeeeeeezzzzing cold gel cloth onto my skin – this is to protect it from the freezing.  Once I regained myself from that, on went the vacuum machine.  Once the device was positioned in place Fiona said “are you ready? ok 3, 2, 1…..” and then my tummy was sucked up and held between the device’s cooling panels.  The sensation is a very firm pull and pressure, Fiona said I had “good tissue draw” – the polite term for “bulge” perhaps, LOL.  It takes approximately 7 minutes for the area to freeze and during that time I got a feeling of pressure and intense cold.  Once it was numb I felt fine.  It actually didn’t even hurt.  The treatment is 60 minutes so once I was made comfy I was left alone with visits from Fiona on and off during the time to check I was ok.  I spent the time on my iPhone catching up on some work.

Once the hour was up it was time to take the device off for “the reveal” as I was calling it.  Fiona had explained to me that my skin will be raised and might be a shock.  She would then have to warm it up by massaging it back into shape – a bit like pressing on play-dough – ha ha ha.

Yep it looked weird and I got the giggles.  I didn’t feel uneasy about it, I couldn’t even feel her massage it flat as it was so numb, in fact I had to check it was flat afterwards.  Once the skin starts to warm up it started to burn.  That was more painful (to me) than the freezing part.  It didn’t last long and once it subsided I took a loo break and it was onto my sides to freeze the love handles.

Well if you have sensitive sides like me and you are ticklish…….ha ha ha ha……..the cold gel cloth and the skin sucking up on the love handles was hilarious – it really hurt and tickled at the same time!!!  My whole body tensed up and I had to do deep breathing to relax down again, Fiona rubbing my leg “relax, relax, breath” and Nina laughing and filming me – oh it was funny but didn’t last too long and again it took approx 7 mins for the area to go numb and then it was just the pressure of the machine on me and the pulling but I was pretty comfortable on my side and it was easy to relax, I even tried to have a sleep but ended up on my iPhone again sending messages to my husband telling him I wont be back in time to collect the kids from school as it’s going to take a bit longer to get my fat frozen. Priorities! he heee

60 mins later all done, warmed up by massage on the area and over onto the other side I went.  Freeeeezzzzing gel cloth, device on, pain of suction, intense cold, body tensed up, breath, breath, breath – relax!  Phew.  Another relatively easy 60 mins went by and again ended with a warming massage to re-mold my skin and I was all done.

Fiona explained that I could return to normal duties/activities however I may experience redness, tingling and numbness in the area, but all very temporary.  She also explained that I may feel bloated and look swollen in the first few days and sometimes weeks after the treatment.  At some point in the first 2 weeks following my treatment I  may experience deep itching, tingling, numbness, tenderness to be touched, pain in the treated area, strong cramping, diarrhoea, muscle spasms, aching and/or soreness, but any concerns to just contact them at the clinic.

It was also explained that a general reduction in the thickness of the fat layer will take place and I might see changes as early as two to three weeks and the most dramatic results after one to three months.  The body continues naturally to process the injured fat cells from your body for approximately four months after the treatment.

I’m extremely grateful to have had the treatment and super excited to see my results unfold.  I can say that the whole experience so far has been pretty easy.  The procedure itself is not so much painful but uncomfortable.  If you have just one area to treat then 60 minutes is nothing, that’s a lunch break for most people.  If you do more areas like I did you have to be prepared for the long period you will be having the treatment for and essentially lying down in positions that over time become uncomfortable.  I started to become very uncomfortable on my right side as my hip began to ache.  That aside my experience has been great and I would recommend it to anyone considering it.

Watch this space for updates on my results and our little documentary of my treatment session.  For now here are some pics of me with the device on and one after it was taken off my side.  It looks like it would be sore but it wasn’t, just red from the freezing and numb.












Update: Read about my recovery 1 week after my CoolSculpting treatment


Following a long corporate career as an Executive Assistant and Office Manager, Ilke set on the path of self development, wanting to learn and grow on a deeper level to really evolve, not just as an individual but as a mum and wife.

Sign up to get the latest posts delivered straight to your inbox!
Follow Us

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This