Options for Vaginal Rejuvenation – Improving Tightness, Incontinence, Sensation or Aesthetics (looks)
Perhaps it’s a sign of the times or the technology is just getting better, but vaginal rejuvenation is definitely becoming a much more popular procedure. Just as every other part of our body ages, so does your vagina.
As early as our 20’s the fat around the outer labia and around the mons pubis thins out. As time goes by, the inside of the vagina begins to stretch. Depending on how many children you have had or how close you are to menopause, blood flow to the area decreases accordingly, the pelvic floor muscles weaken and the lining of your vagina starts to thin.
There are also women out there who whilst they might not have children, or even be close to menopause, are still unhappy with the appearance or functionality (tightness, sensation) of their vagina. It has also been proven by studies that if a woman is unhappy with the appearance of her vagina then her sexual self-esteem can be affected when it comes to bedroom playtime.
There are a number of ways that you can work to keep your vagina “young” and fit on your own, such as kegel (pelvic floor muscle strengthening) exercises. But today we are going to look at the options available for those needing more help.
Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgery
There are several different types of surgeries for vaginal rejuvenation. These are vaginoplasty and labiaplasty.
- Vaginoplasty – also referred to as vaginal rejuvenation, this is the process of tightening the vagina through a number of incisions inside the vagina, sometimes using a laser to assist. The procedure usually takes about 60 minutes and can be done either under general anesthesia or a local anesthesia with some sedation.
- Labiaplasty– is a procedure performed on the labia (the outer lips surrounding the vagina). This procedure can be performed on either the labia major (the larger outer lips) or the labia minor (the smaller, inner vaginal lips) or both. It can be performed either on its own or at the same time as vaginoplasty.
- Clitoral Hood Reduction or Unhooding – this is a procedure that removes the tissue that normally covers the clitoris.
While labiaplasty is purely to change the appearance or size of the labia, vaginoplasty will tighten your vagina and improve the function.
Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
There are now lasers that can perform a number of vaginal rejuvenation techniques without surgery, such as gently tightening the vaginal tissues, remodelling collagen and rejuvenating the vulva to revive the sensations and revitalise the tissue of the vagina.
- Mona Lisa Touch
- Thermi Va
- Petit Lady Action II Laser
It is important to know that some vaginal rejuvenation surgeries are marketed as providing designer vaginas – the perfect vagina. This is a tricky concept – like each woman’s body, each vagina is different; so who decides what vagina is perfect?
Other variations of the above procedures, based on the idea of these “designer vaginas” are listed below:
- Revirgination –just as the title explains this procedure aims to “revirginate”. A surgery called hymenoplasty repairs the hymen to mimic its virginal state. This has been proven to be quite a controversial procedure in many cultures.
- G-spot amplification – Some experts believe that the front wall of the vagina holds the G-spot. The G-spot amplification procedure involves injecting collagen into the front wall of the vagina.
* Always consult with your doctor or surgeon when considering any procedure. This article is for informational and research purposes only and is not medical advice.